James E. Smith OBE, is our principal advisor on the public sector, having recently retired from front line politics he brings to bear a great deal of experience in the public sector in general, and in community safety in particular.
His experience has included:
- Several technical management positions, at BOC (Manager, New Ventures), John Brown Engineering and Fraser Nash (Group Technical Director), after several years in the aerospace industry in the USA.
- Over a quarter of a century as an elected councillor in the London Borough of Merton and for the last decade as a Surrey County Councillor.
- Cabinet Member at Surrey County Council in transport and community safety (For eight years during the last decade)
- Advisor to SEEDA on establishment of the south east of England Fire board; and its inaugural chairman
- Member of Surrey Police Authority and elected as its chairman 2006-2008
- Member of the Council of the Association of Police Authorities
- Member of the Police National Pay Board
- Elected a fellow of the Institute of Directors
- Appointed as an officer of the order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1989